Friday, July 22, 2011

Chest Building Exercises


Your chest workout should include at least two warm up sets, some light stretching and some heavy poundage on the work sets. My routine is almost always three sets of three different exercises--all of which are done to complete failure except perhaps the very first set which I consider sort of the tail-end of my warm up.



The execution of all my chest movements is very strict. It usually takes me three seconds to lower the weight before I bring it up again in an equally controlled fashion but slightly faster. This tecnique has worked extremely well for me. Don't try to put up a heavier weight than you really ought to be ignoring the negative part of the rep and arching your back.
It's my feeling that a good chest workout should have three parts to it. One exercise needs to be a mass builder--a compound movement where you use as much weight as you can and still do 6-10 controlled reps. I usually do flat dumbbell presses for this. I prefer dumbbells to the bar, but I don't think you can go wrong either way as long as you don't come up crooked on the bench.
Second, every chest routine needs an exercise for the upper chest. Incline flies, incline dumbbell press or incline barbbell press all work well. I use dumbbell presses again.
Finally, to carve out the valley between your pecs, you need some sort of cross-over movement. Advanced bodybuilders who already have a good base of mass can go into cable movements. For the rest of us who are still building a base of muscle, dumbbell flies work best here.
On to the exercises...

0 comments:

Post a Comment